Current USA Visa Rules To Study And Work In USA

As you probably know, to study in the U.S., you must have a student visa. However, if you intend to study and work at the same time, the current USA visa rules may or may not allow you to work depending on the kind of visa you hold.

Generally, there are two types of visas for people or students who wish to study and work in the U.S. and they are the following:
  1. F-1 Student Visa

The F-1 student visa is also known as the Academic Student Visa. This kind of visa will allow you to live in the U.S. only if you are a full-time student, either at a recognized university or college, conservatory, seminary, elementary school, high school, or any other recognized academic institution. In addition to this, to qualify for this visa, you must enroll in a course or program that will eventually culminate to a certificate, diploma, or diploma. Also, your school or institution of choice must have authorization from the U.S. government to enroll international students.

When it comes to employment, the current USA visa rules do not allow F-1 student visa holders to work out-of- campus during their first academic year. This means that if you intend to apply for F-1 student visa or if you already hold one, the current USA visa rules may allow you to work some out-of-campus jobs after your first academic year but only when the jobs are related to the following:

  • Engineering, mathematics, science and technology
  • Curricular practical training
  • Optional practical training

Some of the jobs that the current USA visa rules will not permit F-1 student holders to hold are anything related to the following:

  • gas station
  • hotels and motels
  • liquor store

Engaging in jobs that the current USA visa rules consider illegal or risky for students can very well lead to deportation.

  1. The M-1 Student Visa

This visa is also known as the vocational student visa and as expected, it caters for students wish to acquire non-academic or vocational training in the U.S.

M-1 student visa holders are prohibited by the current USA visa rules to engage in practical training while still partaking their vocational training and just like F-1 student holders, M-1 students, and their off-campus jobs must be related to what they are studying and must first be authorized by the Designated School Official.

Just like F-1 students, M-1 students who choose to work without proper authorization might be forced to leave the country immediately and may never be able to apply for any type of US visa in their lifetime.

Upon completing their education, both F-1 and M-1 must leave the U.S. or seek legal advice if they wish to extend their stay legally. According to the current USA visa rules F-1 students have a maximum of 60 days after completion of their programs to leave the country, while M-1 students have only 30 days after which they may face legal action unless they have already filed for an extension.

To Apply for Scholarship in any University  of your choice Free Of Charge look  Below,

You may also like...


  • Hello, guest
  • My is kilash kifile. I was graduated From Debre Tabor univeristy, Ethiopia by Bsc degree in Biology. I will appriciate you to study in your tniveristy. 0928852419(my phone number)
  • My name is degu mekonnen from ethiopia. I am a 4 rth year leather engineering student in bahir dar university. I have a better CGPA until this semister and have a good skill with any other related fields. So i have interest to join with your university. If you can please support me as much as possible to get visa ...help
    • My name is Abdisa Fite Feyisa from Ethiopia. I studied accounting from private company.I have very good CGAP.if gain this chance I appreciate your university & hrm. Please help me!! Phone number 0921838095
  • Dear sir; I am Bedasa workineh from Ethiopia. Iwsh to study in your University. I graduated from Haramaya University by Bsc degree in the field of Animal Science. I am Very glad If am enlisted there. Contact me phone 0921435137 or email bedasa2015work@gmail.com
    • My name is Ba Thomas Tarr, a student of the William V.S. Tubman Teachers' college at the University of Liberia studying Secondary Education. I have interest in studying curl curriculum practical training.
  • thanks this chance my name is Rahel Berhanu from ethiopia i graduated clincil nursing by diploma i would like to study in USA my first degree contact me +251923328562
  • Dear sir/ madam ; I am Gezahegn Baheru from Ethiopia. I wish to study in your University. I graduated from Bahir Dar University by BA degree in the field of Social Anthropology. And also i have a good skill related to Social Work in related to with my field,giving good public service, cultural activity, I can speak and listen more than 3 international language, and I can conduct a research which is related with my field by cooperating with any institutions although I am Very glad If am enlisted there. Please Contact me in my personal mobile phone +25116920241 Home phone no +2512207441 or in my email gezaheg.baheru@gmail.com Thank You for giving me your wonderful time and your attention!!!!!
  • My name is Berhanu Tegegn ,from Ethiopia I like visa ,how can i get this chance? I have diploma by social science from Harar of teachers training institute.Please call on +251915183706
  • My name is Mustapha Kinney live in Liberia I m a high graduate of the Caldwell Christian Academy, I like student visa, I want to be part of you in America for the study.
  • Hello my name is fisha tsegay I am from Eritrea I like student visa how can i get this chance i have graduated BSc degree in chemical engineering i am eritrean refugee in ethiopia please call me on +251967775311
  • am gizachew silesh from ethiopia.i have 1st degree electrical /electronics technology from adama science and technology university in Ethiopia . i have 6 year work experience in different organization i am happy to continue 2nd degree with my qualification but with the scarcity of mony and my country also can not give this chance to continue and upgrade my profession. for more information i tell u with my phone number and you contact me .my cell phone number +251910474055. and my email address gizachew_silesh@yahoo.com
  • I'm Hailu Ararsa from Ethiopia .I have graduated from Adama Science and Technology University by Social work Profession Masters degree.So I need to either Study or Working. Please Tell me what is next to be your Student or Workers
  • Greetings!! My Name Is Tiku Emmanuel From Cameroon. I Just Had My Advanced Level And I Wish To Further My Education In U.S.A. I Wish To Apply For A Scholarship And My Joy And That Of My Family Will Be Complete If Am Granted Opportunity. Thank You Sir And God Bless You.
  • My name is Kebede Geneme from Ethiopia.I graduated in Physics at Hwassa university. Dr Scholar if you give a chance i need to study more plaice help me with excuse.Tank you.
  • I'm Joseph G Dacuma from Liberia, studying biology at the university of Liberia. l will appreciate you to study at your university
  • my name is foleke alex undergraduate at the catholic university institute of buea, Cameroon department of management pleas i really need this scholarship thank you
    • I am Fonjock Beckly Nkemtengu, live in Cameroon, study in Cameroon still....i study Air conditioning and refrigeration,Am at the advanced level stage,....
  • I'm Sileshi Feyisa From Ethiopia Studining Fiziks. Will Appreciate You To Study At Your University Abto What The Ded Lin Ofthis Contact To Me By 0910057671 THANK'S FOR VERY MUCH.