National Science Scholarship (MBBS-PhD) for Singaporean Students, 2017
Agency for Science, Technology and Research is offering National Science Scholarships (MBBS-PhD) for Singaporean citizens. The scholarship supports studies for an intercalated MBBS-PhD so that scholars can seamlessly graduate with both MBBS and PhD at the end of their studies.
This scholarship aims to groom students, who are aspiring to be clinician-scientists, to be Singapore’s next generation of leaders in translational medicine.
A*STAR is making a significant investment in each scholar and the aim is for every scholar to come back and be part of Singapore’s Research, Innovation and Enterprise ecosystem. They will need to commence their PhD studies within 18 months from the completion of their undergraduate degree.
English is the official language for instruction in Singapore and proving competence in the language might be necessary.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue MBBS-PhD programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in translational medicine.
Scholarship Award: Successful candidates will be given support for up to nine years of academic pursuit, leading to MBBS and PhD degrees. Successful candidates from NUS YLLSoM or LKCSoM will be given support for their PhD studies only for up to five years.
Scholarship support comprises*:
- Full tuition fees
- Monthly sustenance allowance
- Annual return airfare
Additional allowances are available in the PhD phase of scholarship
*All allowances vary according to country and university, and are subject to adjustments by A*STAR
Scholarship can be taken in Singapore or Abroad
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for scholarship:
- Candidates with a strong interest in pursuing a career as clinician-scientists
- Singaporeans or other nationals intending to take up Singapore citizenship
- Male applicants are required to serve National Service prior to commencement of undergraduate studies
- Excellent results for GCE ‘A’ Level (minimum 11 units), International Baccalaureate (IB), NUS High School diploma or equivalent
- Candidates are encouraged to sit for the SAT tests to broaden their choices of institutions for their undergraduate education. Although A*STAR does not mandate a minimum SAT score as a qualifying condition for the undergraduate scholarships awarded for studies, applicants are encouraged to submit their SAT scores, if available, to be included in the overall assessment of their applications
- Candidates must have obtained an offer from a UK medical school offering the intercalated MBBS-PhD programme
- Candidates must also apply for and gain admission into the National University of Singapore Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine (YLLSoM) or Nanyang Technological University Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (LKCSoM)
- Outstanding final year medical students or MBBS graduates from the YLLSoM or LKCSoM who demonstrate a strong interest in pursuing a clinician scientist career are also welcome to apply for PhD support
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience and notable achievements in science-related projects and activities.
- The above eligibility criteria are not exhaustive.
A*STAR may include additional selection criteria based on prevailing scholarship policies. These policies may be amended from time to time without notice.
Nationality: Singaporeans citizens can apply for these scholarships. Non- Singaporeans citizens will be expected to take up Singapore Citizenship if your scholarship application is successful. Non-Singaporean males are required to serve National Service prior to the commencement of your undergraduate studies.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Candidates with a strong interest in pursuing a career as clinician-scientists are eligible.
English language Requirements: Candidates are encouraged to sit for the SAT tests to broaden their choices of institutions for their undergraduate education. Although A*STAR does not mandate a minimum SAT score as a qualifying condition for the undergraduate scholarships awarded for studies, applicants are encouraged to submit their SAT scores, if available, to be included in the overall assessment of their applications.
How to Apply: To apply it is necessary to submit online scholarship application form.
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is 31 March 2017.