The University of Twente is offering PhD Position: surface enhanced spectroscopy to study electrochemical reactions in a microfluidic chip.
In this project, the aim is to develop microfluidic chips for in-situ analysis to gain a better understanding of the reactions occurring at the electrode-solution interface.
The University of Twente is a university located in Enschede, Netherlands. It offers research and degree programmes in the social and behavioural sciences and in engineering.
Course Level: Position is available for pursuing PhD programme.
Study Subject: This PhD position focusses on the device design, fabrication and initial testing. In close collaboration with another PhD and postdoc within this project, proteomics and drug screening applications will be tested in detail.
- PhD students are employed for a period of 4 years. Salary and conditions are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement (CAO) of the Dutch Universities. The gross monthly salary starts at € 2191,- gross per month in the first year, leading up to € 2801,- gross per month in the last year excluding allowances in accordance with the job profile ‘Promovendus’, under the University System for Job Classification (UJC).
- Employees are also entitled to a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3 %.
Scholarship can be taken in Netherlands
- University is looking for a candidate with a Master’s Degree in a relevant field, like e.g. electrical engineering, nanotechnology, (analytical) chemistry, chemical engineering, or physics. The candidate should be able to work independently, and have excellent theoretical and experimental skills. Fluent command of English is required. Knowledge or experience in micro- and nanofabrication is considered as a key advantage. Moreover, knowledge in microfluidics, optics/waveguides and spectroscopic methods such as (surface enhanced) Raman and/or Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy is also greatly appreciated.
- Most importantly, the BIOS Lab-on-a-Chip group in general, and this project in particular are very challenging multidisciplinary environments. It is therefore essential to show willingness to look beyond disciplinary boundaries, to learn new techniques and skills required for this project.
Nationality: Citizens of all nationalities can apply for PhD Position.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: In order to be admitted to a doctoral programme, an applicant or a person who registered must meet the following requirements regarding:
- Master of Science degree
- English-language test (non-Dutch candidates)
- Sufficient funds
English Language Requirement: Doctoral candidates with a non-Dutch qualification may only be admitted if they have sufficient command of the English language. Official documents with test results are required for candidates who did not complete their secondary and tertiary education in the English language. The UT accepts the following English-language tests:
- An academic IELTS-test (International English Language Testing System) showing a total band score of 6.5
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) via the internet (TOEFL-iBT) of at least 90
- Cambridge CAE-C (CPE)
How to Apply: Please submit your application using the online form, including a C.V. and motivation letter. Please do not send your C.V. and motivation letter by email. Postdoctoral research do not need to apply, as University is specifically looking for a prospective PhD student.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is February 23, 2017.
Want Scholarships Like this Straight To Your Inbox?