Application Deadline: November 8th 2016
The Chevening programme grants awards to outstanding individuals with leadership potential from around the world. A Chevening OCIS Award offers financial support to individuals wishing to undertake a period of independent study and research at the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies (OCIS).
Fellows will undertake a period of research and study at OCIS based on the culture and civilisation of Islam and of all aspects of contemporary Muslim societies in the global context. The Fellowship will start in October 2017 for a six month period of research.
The Chevening-Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies (OCIS) Fellowship is a collaboration between the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office and OCIS, for mid-career professionals who are dedicated to the promotion of academic activities which encourage a more informed understanding of the culture and civilisation of Islam and contemporary Muslim societies.
The Chevening-OCIS Fellowship Award offers financial support to individuals to undertake a period of independent study and research at the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies.
Fellows undertake a period of self-directed research and study at OCIS based on the culture and civilisation of Islam, and of all aspects of contemporary Muslim societies in the global context.
Fellows will benefit from meeting a multi-disciplinary group of scholars focusing on the Islamic world, and have the opportunity to develop contacts with relevant individuals, discuss issues relating to the Islamic world, including Islamic history, classical Islamic sciences, economics and Islamic finance, and the study of Muslims in the West. Fellows will contribute to the Centre’s objective to encourage and promote sustained dialogue and collaboration within the global academic community of the culture and civilisation of Islam, and contemporary Muslim societies.
The fellowship starts in October 2017 for a six month period of research at OCIS.
- 6 month period of research at OCIS
- Living expenses for the duration of the Fellowship
- Return economy airfare from their home country to the UK
- Allowance package for study related activities
Applications are invited from individuals from the following countries:
- The Occupied Palestinian Territories
- Sri Lanka
To be eligible for a Chevening/OCIS Fellowship, you must:
- Demonstrate the potential to rise to positions of leadership and influence.
- Demonstrate that they possess the personal, intellectual and interpersonal attributes reflecting this potential.
- Be a citizen of one of the above listed countries, who will return to your home country at the end of the period of fellowship.
- A postgraduate (PG) level qualification (or equivalent professional training or experience in a relevant area) at the time of application;
- Significant professional and/or academic research experience (5+ years);
- Applicants who have previously received financial benefit from an HMG funded scholarship or fellowship are eligible to apply after a period of five years following the completion of their first HMG funded award and are required to demonstrate their career progression from that point;
- Provide evidence of meeting at least the minimum English language abilities for Chevening Awards
- Not hold dual nationality where one nationality is British (other than for nationals exempt from this requirement listed in the Chevening Guidance for Applicants).
- Not be employees, employees’ relatives (or former employees who have left employment less than two years before) of Her Majesty’s Government including the FCO (including FCO posts), the British Council, DFID, MOD, BIS, UKTI and UKBA, the Association of Commonwealth Universities or OCIS or any of their wholly-owned subsidiaries.
For More Information:
Want Scholarships Like this Straight To Your Inbox?