The Utrecht University has created a scholarship programme to enable talented international students to undertake a master degree programme in the Netherlands. Approximately 15 scholarships are awarded per year.
Utrecht University is committed to providing an outstanding education at an affordable cost. Founded in 1636 and located in the heart of the Netherlands, Utrecht University is one of Europe’s leading research universities. We are recognized internationally for our high-quality, innovative approach to research and teaching. The Shanghai Ranking ranks Utrecht University as 1st in the Netherlands and 47th in the world. The Best Global Universities Ranking ranks the University as 1st in the Netherlands and 12th in Europe.
Since English is the official language at UCU, applicants are required to demonstrate proof of proficiency.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue master degree programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded to pursue a degree in one of the English taught Master’s programmes of the Graduate School of Law, Economics, and Governance.
Scholarship Award: With the scholarship students will be able to cover the costs of the tuition fee and part of the living expenses.
- For students who will have to pay the statutory tuition fee (mainly EU/EEA student): €5.000
- For students who will have to pay the institutional tuition fee (most non-EU/EEA students): €17.500
- In a 2-year’s Master’s programme, the scholarship will only be renewed for the second year if the student is making satisfactory progress towards the degree.
- Student’s s should be aware that the grant is not a full scholarship, and that it may be necessary to find additional funding to be able to finance study and stay completely. Read more about the budget Utrecht University advises.
Number of Scholarships: Approximately 15 scholarships are awarded per year.
Scholarship can be taken in the Netherlands
Eligibility: Eligible candidates are selected for a scholarship on the basis of the following criteria:
- The academic quality and results of the preceding education, as evidence, for example, by grades, test scores, publications, letters of recommendation;
- The student’s career vision, promise in the proposed field of study;
- The student’s societal engagement (e.g. extracurricular activities)
- The quality and relevance of the motivation letter;
- The quality of the application itself (completeness, accuracy, consistency)
In order to be awarded this scholarship student should:
- Have a non-Dutch nationality;
- Hold a non-Dutch secondary education degree;
- Have been admitted to one of the Master’s programmes mentioned above;
- Be able to comply with the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa if applicable;
- Failure to meet one or more of these criteria automatically means the student is not eligible for this scholarship.
Nationality: Students from non-Dutch nationality are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
College Admission Requirement
English Language Requirements: Since English is the official language at UCU, applicants are required to demonstrate proof of proficiency. Accepted are the IELTS test, TOEFL test, Cambridge Certificate:
IELTS Academic: A minimum of 7.0 for all components
TOEFL: Internet-based 100
How to Apply: Students who wish to be considered for the scholarship have to apply for admission to the programme before 1 February. There is no separate application for the LEG International Talent Scholarship. An application for a Utrecht Excellence Scholarship will be considered an application for a LEG International Talent Scholarship as well. If you don’t apply for a UES (e.g. because you are an EU/EEA student) you have to request in your motivation letter (which is a requested document for your application for admission, see ‘Admission and Application’ per programme) to be nominated for the scholarship. Applications arriving after the 1 February deadline will not be considered for a scholarship in the Master’s programme that starts the next academic year.
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is February 1, 2018.
Want Scholarships Like this Straight To Your Inbox?