The University of Melbourne is pleased to offer the Human Rights Scholarship to students from any country of the world, including foreign students in Australia.
The Human Rights Scholarship was established by the University of Melbourne and awarded to students who are undertaking research in the field of human rights.
Candidates who are eligible, in line with the official requirements as outlined below, are welcome and encouraged to submit their applications for the academic session.
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- have applied for and meet the entry requirements for a Master or Doctorate by research degree at the University of Melbourne, or
- be currently enrolled in a research degree at the University of Melbourne and have at least 12 months (full-time equivalent) of candidature remaining,
- intend to undertake graduate research in the human rights field and be committed to the peaceful advancement of respect for human rights that extends beyond academic studies (such as voluntary work and/or work experience);
- have not already completed a research qualification at the same or higher level as the course for which a scholarship is sought, and
- intend to study as a full-time student unless there are compassionate or compelling circumstances that prevent you from undertaking full-time study
- not have previously received a Human Rights Scholarship
Eligible applicants are selected on the basis of the area of study in and level of commitment to human rights, academic merit and strength of supporting documentation.
Citizens of ANY country
University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria; Australia
Fields of study
Graduate Research Degree Programme in the area of human rights at the University of Melbourne. [For more information about applying for courses and scholarships, seeFuture Students website]
Number of awards
The University usually awards two scholarships per year
The duration of this scholarship is up to two years for students undertaking a Master by research degree and up to three years, with a possible six month extension, for students undertaking a Doctorate by research degree
The scholarship benefits include a fortnightly living allowance, relocation grant for students moving to Melbourne from interstate or from outside Australia, as well as limited paid sick, maternity and parenting leave.
Note that the Human Rights Scholarship does NOT cover tuition fees for international students.
Method of Application
You must submit an online application for both the Graduate Research Scholarships group and the Human Rights Scholarship. Before you apply you need to know: What you are going to study, Information about your qualifications (Copies of Transcripts, Certificates etc), and What the entry requirements are. You will receive a confirmation email on completion of the online application process. You can monitor the progress of your application and upload supporting documentation using the user name and password emailed to you.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) to access the application form and for complete information on how to apply for this scholarship.
There is only one application round each year which opens 1 July and closes 31 October of each year. The current round opened 1 July 2016 and will close 31 October 2016
Applicants will be notified of the outcome by email in February. Reasons for non-selection and feedback on individual applications will not be provided.
The University of Melbourne (informally Melbourne University) is an Australian public research university located in Melbourne, Victoria. Founded in 1853, it is Australia’s second oldest university and the oldest in Victoria. Times Higher Education ranks Melbourne as 33rd in the world, while the Academic Ranking of World Universities places Melbourne 44th in the world (both first in Australia). Melbourne’s main campus is located in Parkville, an inner suburb north of the Melbourne central business district, with several other campuses located across Victoria.
Application Deadline: 31 October 2016
Open to International Applicants: Yes
Want Scholarships Like this Straight To Your Inbox?