The Office of Research, Innovation, and Development (ORID) is now accepting applications for Rhodes Scholarship for West African Students for the acdemic year 2018-2019.
The Rhodes scholarship is administered by the Rhodes Trust, Oxford, United Kingdom and is a postgraduate award that seeks to support exceptional students from around the world to study at the University of Oxford, United Kingdom.
The Rhodes University is a public research university located in Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. It is one of four universities in the province.
Course Level: Scholars may pursue any full-time postgraduate degree offered by the University of Oxford for the duration of two years with an option for a third year.
Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded in any of courses offered by the university.
Scholarship Award: Coverage of the Scholarship
- Full tuition, a maintenance stipend (covering accommodation, feeding, and incidentals) and one economy class airfare to and from Oxford at the beginning and end of tenure.
- Comprehensive Rhodes Character, Service & Leadership program (retreats, workshops, conferences) which is designed to equip them on how to solve critical problems in any community they find themselves, as well as many discussions and social events at Rhodes House, Oxford.
Number of Scholarships: Not Known
Scholarship can be taken at University of Oxford, UK
Eligibility: To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must:
- Be between the ages of 19-25 (You must have reached your 19th and not have passed your 26th birthday on 1 October 2018. This means candidates must have been born on 30 September 1992 and on or before 1 October 1999)
- Be a citizen of one of the following countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the island of Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone, São Tomé and Principe and Togo.
- Have been resident in one or more of the countries listed above for at least five of the last ten years.
- Have completed an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a Bachelor’s degree) with the highest classification your University awards, e.g. First Class or Upper Second Class Honours.
- Have a sufficiently high standard of English to meet the English language proficiency requirements (at the Higher Level listed) of the University of Oxford.
- Energy to use one’s talent to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sport, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved).
Nationality: Citizens of the following countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the island of Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone, São Tomé and Principe and Togo are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Students must have completed an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a Bachelor’s degree) with the highest classification your University awards, e.g. First Class or Upper Second Class Honours.
English Language Requirements: Students must have a sufficiently high standard of English to meet the English language proficiency requirements (at the Higher Level listed) of the University of Oxford.
How to Apply:
- Applications may be submitted online at the following link via the scholarships tab.
- All applicants are entreated to read carefully the general information for candidates on Rhodes website, the Condition of Tenure for Rhodes scholarship. Detailed information is available at this link.
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in person. No candidate will be selected without an interview.
- Candidates who do not receive further communication by the end of November should assume the application has been unsuccessful.
- A completed application form online
- Citizenship criterion:
- A certified copy of your birth certificate (or an affidavit of birth)
- A national identity card
iii. A valid passport (with translation, if necessary)
- Evidence of residency within the region
- An official transcript from the University attended
- Ahead and shoulders photograph in jpeg format
- Curriculum vitae, showing details of what you have achieved.
- An IELTS or TOEFL certificate as evidence of English Proficiency (If English is not your first language).
- A signed personal statement.
- A list of referees (minimum of 4 and maximum of 6) who are willing to submit references on your behalf
Application Deadline: All applicants must ensure that a completed electronic application is received online by midnight, GMT, Saturday, September 30, 2017. References must also be submitted online latest by midnight, GMT, Saturday, October 14, 2017.